Monday, September 16, 2013

Back again...

Random Updates to the Simple Life:

  • We still live on .08 acres having had 26 acres bought out literally from underneath us by having someone else see us checking out the land, realize it must be for sale (though it wasn't on the market), and then insta-calling the seller and making an identical offer to ours a few hours before we had ours ready to submit.  Frustrating - but praying for contentment in our situation.  We've decided to wholeheartedly live where we are right now rather than waiting to start living until we arrive at our "dream property" sometime in the future.  
  • We're learning to use permaculture principles on a small scale
  • I'm working through a PDC right now, and implementing as much as I can before completing a full on design to our property.
  • Rabbits as a meat source are on the horizon
  • Our family is stronger than ever, having come through 6 months of impatience being changed to patience, hope giving way to trust, and a growing realization that we really are on a course to a better future as we simplify and break away from so many of the mirages that American culture says are "normal"

3 comments:

  1. Hey, My name is Jason. I am glad to have found someone who is practicing permaculture in KY! My wife and two boys with a third little one on the way, are moving to the La Grange/ Crestwood area in a couple of months. I am very excited to be getting out of California, but was bummed to find so little about permaculture going on in KY. Keep it going! We have plans to begin a the permaculture lifestyle as soon as we get out there, although it will probably be quite cold when we arrive. But still GLAD to find you!

    Sorry to hear about the land getting bought up. We are hoping to buy a home with several acres shortly after arrival, so it will be interesting to see how that goes. Anyway, It'll be better than here for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, its great that your looking at meat rabbits too! I am hoping for that and chickens as well, but my wife isnt too thrilled with the idea of rabbits just yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jason, thanks for posting. As you can tell, I don't post a lot, but I'm hoping to once things slow down a bit for the winter. Good luck getting started here in Kentucky. I'm originally from Michigan, but my family and I have been here for the past 10 years. If there's any way I can be of service to you (I live about one and a half hours south east of La Grange). We're actually incubating chickens right now prior to getting started with our rabbits. The rabbits are definitely on the horizon, but we had an opportunity to get eggs and an incubator from a friend, so we bumped the rabbits until we get our eggs hatched. They are due to hatch in a week and a half, so I'm sure I'll post about it. I've got another friend who practices permaculture in Harrodsburg (West of here, and south of La Grange). He's on seven acres right now. Stay in touch and maybe the three of us can connect when you arrive. Welcome to Kentucky!

    ReplyDelete