Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Alright,
It's Wednesday.  Last night I put a few more plants in my garden, and started to harvest the last of the Spinach from my winter garden.  It's started to bolt in the recent heat, and I have a feeling that when I get home from school today it will be time to pull out the rest of it.  Which is ok, because that means I can get my beets, turnips, and other root crops in and growing.

Monday, I tried something I've never done before - I made dandelion root coffee.  I've known for awhile now about chicory coffee (both New Orleans style which is 50% chicory and 50% coffee) as well as straight chicory (not coffee) in the style of a starving southern family circa 1860.  I watched the video (embedded below) and promptly gave it a try.  Who knew?

I have currently run out of dandelions in my yard and I'm leery of harvesting elsewhere unless I can verify that no chemicals have been used on the lawn...maybe it's time to start cultivating them just for the root?  Maybe a raised bed of dandelions?

No comments:

Post a Comment