Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Rainy Day Planning

It's raining and 47 degrees outside.  My cold weather greens are safe for a few more days, but we've had several days of warmth that I fear will cause my spinach to bolt.  I plan on putting in some variety of New Zealand or Okinawa spinach that will give me a yield through the hot Kentucky summers, but I haven't ordered seed yet.

Today's plans include...deciding on my plant guilds and ordering seeds/bulbs to plant them; discussing with my wife more places to plant so we don't lose too much play space for the wee ones; and drawing up plans for a downdraft food dryer/dehydrator.  I probably won't get all of it done, but I always try to overplan rather than underplan.  I don't know how much food we'll have to dry this summer, but it'll either be tons of tomatos and nothing else, or it will be tons of tomatos and a smattering of other things.  Or...we'll find our land in the country, and sacrifice a season of gardening for changing locations; only time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment